Single part RTV (RTV-1) silicones are one-step, ready-to-use adhesives and sealants. They crosslink automatically when exposed to air humidity at room temperature. Cost-effectiveness and sustainability are key considerations when it comes to bonding and sealing. Bonding with silicone adhesive sealants has decisive advantages over traditional mechanical joining technologies in terms of handling, functionality, durability and cost efficiency. These silicone rubbers are either room-temperature-vulcanizing (RTV) or one-part heat-curing systems. Both systems are exceptional for their processing properties.
Another important criterion for selecting the best product is the flow property – we offer you RTV-1 silicones with a consistency ranging from free-flowing to non-sag pastes.
WACKER silicone adhesive sealants can be applied easily and economically either manually or with automated dispensing equipment. Compared to mechanical joining methods, adhesive sealants significantly reduce not only the quantity of parts (e.g. screws, rivets, etc.) but also the number of process steps. Hence, silicone adhesive sealants help to reduce process cycle time.
RTV-1 silicones find many applications in form-in-place (FIP) gaskets and cure-in-place (CIP) gaskets.
Features & Benefits
- Bonding efficiency: An adhesive sealant acts as a bonding agent and sealant at the same time. The need for additional mechanical safeguarding measures often becomes obsolete.
- High joint reliability: Thanks to the good electrical insulating properties of silicones, different metals can be bonded without the risk of galvanic corrosion.
- Joint stress relaxation: Thanks to their low Young’s modulus, silicone adhesive sealants effectively compensate thermomechanical loads resulting from substrates with a different coefficient of thermal expansion.
- Versatile applicability: Silicone adhesive sealants have a high ability to bond dissimilar materials, usually without the need for primers.
- Temperature resistance: Permanently elastic properties from -45°C to over approx +180°C; Specialised types remain elastic even at 250°C and briefly tolerate even higher temperature spikes
- Chemical resistance: Permanent resistance to aqueous solutions, dilute acids and bases as well as solvents
- Resistance to radiation: Can be exposed to electromagnetic radiation emitted by sources from microwaves to UV even at higher doses
- Vibration and mechanical strength: Processing tolerances for joint parts are effectively compensated and vibrations are effectively dampened thanks to its high elasticity
- Minimal moisture absorption: The hydrophobic, water-repellent surface of silicones offers excellent protection against moisture
|Product||Colour||Cure Mechanism||Rheology||Cure Time||Applications|
|Elastosil N9111||Black||Alkoxy||Non slump paste thixotropic||Skin 25-30 mins||Neutral cure non-corrosive adhesive sealant with excellent primerless adhesion; applications in electronics/automotive/appliances|
|Elastosil N9111||White||Alkoxy||Non slump paste||Skin 25-30 mins||Neutral cure non-corrosive adhesive sealant with excellent primerless adhesion; applications in electronics/automotive/appliances|
|Elastosil N 2034||Black||Alkoxy||Flowable||Skin 20 mins||General purpose adhesive sealant; suitable for FIP gaskets; UL94 V-0; neutral cure|
|Elastosil N 2189||Black||Alkoxy||Non slump||Skin 25-30 mins||General purpose adhesive sealant; suitable for FIP gaskets; UL94 V-0; neutral cure; oil and coolant resistant; hard|
|Elastosil E4||Transparent||Acetoxy||Non slump||Skin 15 mins||General-purpose adhesive and sealant with low compression set|
|Elastosil E10||Red||Acetoxy||Very low viscosity||Skin 10-15 mins||Excellent heat stability and good mechanical properties; sealing tubular heaters|
|Elastosil E43||Transparent||Acetoxy||Self levelling||Skin 15 mins||General-purpose adhesive and sealant; very good mechanical properties|
|Elastosil E50 N||Translucent||Acetoxy||Flowable||Skin 10 mins||Food compliant; excellent primerless adhesion to many substrates|
|Semicosil 989/1K||Black||Thermal||Non slump thixotropic||6h at 100°C;
10 min at 150°C
|General purpose adhesive for electronics; FIP and CIP gasket applications; primerless adhesion to many substrates; cold storage|
|Product||UL94 V-0||Tensile Strength||Elongation %||Temperature Range||Hardness|
|Elastosil N9111||Yes||2.2||500||-50 to 200°C||Shore A 30|
|Elastosil N9111||Yes||2.2||500||-50 to 200°C||Shore A 30|
|Elastosil N 2034||Yes||2||200||-50 to 180°C||Shore A 35|
|Elastosil N 2189||Yes||2.3||250||-45 to 200°C||Shore A 45|
|Elastosil E4||1.5||600||-50 to 180°C||Shore A 15|
|Elastosil E10||2.5||300||-50 to 250°C||Shore A 25|
|Elastosil E43||4.5||500||-50 to 180°C||Shore A 30|
|Elastosil E50 N||1.5||150||-50 to 180°C||Shore A 35|
|Semicosil 989/1K||5||200||-50 to 180°C||Shore A 45|
We supply the equipment necessary to dispense silicones, including manual silicone dispensing guns and complete automated silicone dispensing systems. Get in touch with our team to discuss the best options for your production environment.
See how one of our customers improved their manufacturing process and quality in this silicone dispensing Case Study:
|Automated dispensing helps security manufacturer increase throughput and quality
GJD Manufacturing switched to an automated method of dispensing silicone for sealing a plastic lens to aluminium housing. By doing this, they improved the throughput and quality of their white-light and infrared LED illuminators for the security industry.
- Last updated: August 2018
- Version: 1.2
Statements, technical information and recommendations contained herein are based on tests we believe to be reliable but they are not to be construed in any manner as warrantees expressed or implied. The user shall determine the suitability of the product for his intended use and the user assumes all risk and liability whatsoever in connection therewith.