About Opti-tec 5007-1 Clear Epoxy Adhesive for Optics
Opti-tec 5007-1 is a two component, low viscosity clear epoxy adhesive with a two hour pot life, capable of curing within 20 minutes at 75°C. Opti-tec 5007-1 has excellent sealing and bonding characteristics due to its viscosity and wetting properties. Cured material has high shock and impact resistance with outstanding chemical, moisture and thermal resistance.
The adhesive is designed for fibre optic terminating (pot and polish of fibre optic connectors), where its ability to cure at ambient or minimal raised temperatures gives process enhancements. It can be used for bonding and potting optical components such as prisms, lenses, LED displays and fibres, and for general precision bonding.
Features & Benefits
- Clear adhesive with a viscosity of 1000 cps
- Also available in a blue version (Opti-tec 5007B-1) for ease of inspection in fibre terminating
- Two hour pot life after mixing and cures within 16-24 hours at room temperature. Cure can be achieved in 20 minutes at 75°C or 5 minutes at 100°C.
- High surface energy and low viscosity allows it to readily wet and wick between optical fibres. It develops strong adhesion to most materials used in fibre optics and optics, including metals, ceramics, glass and many plastics.
- Good impact and thermal shock resistance
- Low exotherm, low shrinkage, low stress cure
- Excellent chemical and moisture resistance with a very low exotherm, making it suitable for small potting and encapsulation applications
- Used for Telcordia GR-326-CORE compliant assemblies (General Requirements for Singlemode Optical Connectors and Jumper Assemblies – formerly Bellcore), where its high Tg and environmental robustness allow the termination to meet the specification. Note: optimal cure schedule required.
- Opti-tec 5007B-1, when cured, is considered non-cytotoxic and meets the requirements of the Elution Test, ISO 10993-5.
- Fibre optic terminating, multimode fibres
- Endoscope manufacture and repair
- Optical potting & bonding
- Medical device assembly – ISO 10993-5
- Glass bonding
Part number change: as of version 4.0, April 2021, the part number of this product changed from Opti-tec 5007 to Opti-tec 5007-1 and Opti-tec 5007B to Opti-tec 5007B-1. This is due to an unavoidable change in a formulation component. This change does not affect the product data-sheet specifications. The new formulation has passed internal testing and is deemed to be equivalent.
|Colour||Opti-tec 5007-1 – clear
Opti-tec 5007B-1 – blue
|Mix ratio||100:25 resin to hardener|
|Mix viscosity||500-1500 cps|
|Shelf life||12 months from date of manufacture|
|Cure schedule||Bondline temperature
|Pot life||2 hours @ 23°C (4g mix)|
|Shrinkage on cure||2-3%|
(5 minutes @ 100°C)
|Glass transition temperature (Tg)||105°C|
|Hardness||Shore D 85|
|Temperature resistance||-60 to 200°C|
|Surface tension||42-44 mN/m|
|Lap shear adhesion|
|Stainless steel||12.7 MPa|
|Aluminium 6082 T||5.4 MPa|
|Nylon 6/6||2.7 MPa|
|Safety Data Sheets|
|For the latest SDS for this product, please e-mail email@example.com|
Optic-tec 5007-1 is available in twinpacks or bulk kits.
The twinpack sachet is a clear film sachet, with the resin and hardener separated by a removable clip and rail divider. Click here for twinpack mixing instructions.
Standard twinpack size is 4g total weight. Optic-tec 5007-1 twinpack sachets are packaged in quantities of 5, sealed into a protective aluminium foil pouch. After opening pouch, use adhesive twinpacks within a few days, or tightly reseal the pouch with the enclosed desiccant to preserve shelf-life.
|OPT5007-1-4G||Opti-tec 5007-1 epoxy – 5 x 4g twinpack sachets|
|OPT5007-1-500G||Opti-tec 5007-1 epoxy – 500g kit
|OPT5007B-1-4G||Opti-tec 5007B-1 blue epoxy – 5 x 4g twinpack sachets|
|OPT5007B-1-500G||Opti-tec 5007B-1 blue epoxy – 500g kit
Storage: Store in the original unopened containers under cool dry conditions between 15° and 25°C.
Medical devices: It is the user’s responsibility to determine and validate the suitability of this adhesive in the intended medical device. This adhesive has not been tested for prolonged or permanent implantation, and is only intended for use in short term (28 days) or single-use disposable device applications. Intertronics does not authorise its use in long-term implant applications.
Our technical sales team are on hand to discuss your application requirements. Click here to get in touch.
Find out more information on how to purchase.
- Last updated: July 2021
- Version: 4.1
Statements, technical information and recommendations contained herein are based on tests we believe to be reliable but they are not to be construed in any manner as warrantees expressed or implied. The user shall determine the suitability of the product for his intended use and the user assumes all risk and liability whatsoever in connection therewith.