About Opti-tec 5053 High Temperature Epoxy Adhesive
Opti-tec 5053 High Temperature Epoxy Adhesive is a two component, low viscosity, heat curing epoxy designed for high temperature applications. It is well suited to fibre optic terminating, where optical fibres are “pot and polished” into connectors or ferrules.
Opti-tec 5053, when cured, is considered non-cytotoxic and meets the requirements of ISO 10993-5. It is a suitable candidate for applications in the medical device market – for example, endoscopes or sensors.
For most fibre optic terminating applications, an improved and faster cure version of Opti-tec 5053 is recommended – please see Opti-tec 5053-F-A High Temperature Fast Cure Epoxy Adhesive.
Features & Benefits
- High surface energy and low viscosity allows it to readily wet and wick between optical fibres. It develops strong adhesion to most materials used in fibre optics and optics, including metals, ceramics, glass and most plastics.
- Excellent impact and thermal shock resistance
- High glass transition temperature results in excellent high temperature performance and creep resistance
- Resists moisture, vapours and most chemicals. It features low outgassing and low vapour pressure, making it an ideal sealing material for electronic and optical applications.
- Colour change upon cure, from clear to deep translucent red
- Specially formulated to have very low skin sensitivity
- Long pot life and good handling characteristics
- Used for Telcordia GR-326-CORE compliant assemblies (General Requirements for Singlemode Optical Connectors and Jumper Assemblies – formerly Bellcore), where its high Tg and environmental robustness allow the termination to meet the specification. Note: optimal cure schedule required.
- When cured, is considered non-cytotoxic and meets the requirements of the Elution Test, ISO 10993-5
- Fibre optic terminating
- Endoscope manufacture and repair
- High temperature, high performance bonding
- Electronic sealing
- Medical device assembly
|Mix ratio||10:1 resin to hardener|
|Mix viscosity||1-2 Pa.s (1000-2000 cps)|
|Surface tension||42-44 mN/m|
|Pot life||4 hours @ 23°C|
|Cure schedule||Bondline temperature
|Note: Optimal cured properties are achieved by curing for 5 minutes at a bondline temperature of 120°C. Whilst lower cure temperatures are quoted, they are not recommended for best performance.|
|Optimum cured properties
(5 minutes @ 120°C)
|Glass transition temperature (Tg)||>130°C|
|Hardness, Shore D||85|
|Temperature range||-60 to 200°C|
Average between 0°C and 100°C
Our Technical Bulletins page has links to:
- Technical Bulletin: TB2003-07 – Operator Sensitisation from Fibre Optic Epoxies
Opti-tec 5053 is available in bulk kits.
|OPT5053-550G||550g kit – 1 x 500g resin, 1 x 50g hardener|
For best results, store away from strong alkalis, oxidising material, acids, amines and strong oxidising agents. Static electricity and formation of sparks must be prevented. Keep only in the original container. Keep container tightly closed and upright, in a cool, well-ventilated place and protect from freezing and direct sunlight. Protect containers from damage. Bund storage facilities to prevent soil and water pollution in the event of spillage. The storage area floor should be leak-tight, jointless and not absorbent.
Our technical sales team are on hand to discuss your application requirements. Click here to get in touch.
Find out more information on how to purchase.
- Last updated: October 2020
- Version: 4.4
Statements, technical information and recommendations contained herein are based on tests we believe to be reliable but they are not to be construed in any manner as warrantees expressed or implied. The user shall determine the suitability of the product for his intended use and the user assumes all risk and liability whatsoever in connection therewith.