- High temperature resistance
- Low shrinkage
- Long pot life
- Can be autoclaved
- GR-326-CORE compliant
Opti-tec 5054 is a two component, low viscosity, heat curing
epoxy. It is formulated for very high temperature resistance and can operate
up to 350°C
for short periods. Its structure gives the material outstanding environmental
resistance including super heated steam at 135°C. Opti-tec 5054 finds
applications in fibre optic terminations where superior thermal and environmental
resistance is required.
Opti-tec 5054 has a thixotropic, high viscosity version - OPT
- Fibre optic terminating
- Endoscope manufacture and repair
- High temperature, high performance bonding
- Electronic sealing
- Medical devices and instruments
- Unitising voice coils
Opti-tec 5054 is used in high temperature fibre optic termination
- OPT 5054 can withstand high temperature steam autoclaving and operate for short periods up to 350°C.
- OPT 5054 has a very long pot life of 12 hours after mixing.
- OPT 5054 has high surface energy. This and its low viscosity allows it to readily wet and wick between optical fibres. It develops strong adhesion to most materials used in fibre optics and optics, including metals, ceramics, glass and most plastics.
- OPT 5054 has a low shrinkage on cure, which reduces internal stresses within the bond. It is therefore suitable for multiple fibre assemblies.
- OPT 5054 has excellent impact and thermal shock resistance, with low internal stresses.
- OPT 5054's high glass transition temperature results in excellent high temperature performance and creep resistance.
- OPT 5054 has very high resistance to moisture, vapours and most chemicals. It features low outgassing and low vapour pressure, making it an ideal sealing material for electronic and optical applications.
- OPT 5054 is used for Telcordia GR-326-CORE compliant assemblies (General Requirements for Singlemode Optical Connectors and Jumper Assemblies - formerly Bellcore), where its high Tg and environmental robustness allow the termination to meet the specification. Note: optimal cure schedule required.
- OPT 5054, when cured, is considered non-cytotoxic and meets the requirements of the Elution Test, ISO 10993-5. Further ISO 10993 and USP Class VI qualification pending.
||100:85 resin to hardener
||500 - 1000 cps
||12 hours @ 23°C
Note: Optimal cured properties are achieved by curing for 5 minutes at a bondline temperature of 150°C. Whilst lower cure temperatures are quoted, they are not recommended for best performance.
(5 minutes @ 150°C)
|Glass transition temperature (Tg)
|Hardness, Shore D
||-60 to 250°C
|Shrinkage on cure
|Lap shear (Al/Al)
||11 MPa (@ 23°C)
||12 months in original sealed containers
OPT 5054 is available in twinpacks or in bulk.
The twinpack is a clear film sachet, with the resin and hardener separated by a removable clip and rail divider. To mix the adhesive, remove the divider and mix the two parts together within the sachet. The two parts are mixed until they appear uniform, which usually takes about 1 to 2 minutes. Cut off one corner of the sachet, and dispense to required area, or to syringe for more precise application.
Standard twinpack size is 4g total weight. OPT 5054 twinpack sachets are packaged in quantities of 5, sealed into a protective aluminium foil pouch.
||5 x 4g twinpack sachets
||Obtain more information, samples or literature
||Contact details and how to order